Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why reading Gawker is much more helpful for office water-cooler talk than reading/watching standard news

I bet you feel real educated when you turn your computer on in the morning and zip straight to the New York Times homepage. Or perhaps, you're more of a Wall Street Journal on the train to work type.

I will proudly admit that my first source for the news every morning is Gawker.

Gawker provides me with little nuggets of information which I can select to read or not, and if I do find something interesting I then go to the original source, or use the various hard news outlets for supplementary material.

Way before I noticed that Sharon Stone is grimacing on the cover of Financial Times for making highly inappropriate remarks about China's karma, I read about it on Gawker.

Of course the assumption is that just because I am in PR that means I read Gawker. The true payoff however is in the fact that the media industry blog also offers you snarky sarcastic opinions. How else can you take an educated tone when seeing your manager in the kitchenette? You might know the facts, but have no idea whether the public is in favor or against said actions and happenings. Gawker offers a litmus test of societal feelings on a topic, and facts are never interesting unless they provide insight.

If you lack opinion and your own view of the world, Gawker really is the next best thing!

No comments: